Showing you it works!
How does Armory work with enterprise customers to deploy Spinnaker?
Armory helps companies evaluate Spinnaker, run a successful Proof of Concept with one application and team, and then expand Spinnaker across all teams within the organization. We do this through a combination of People, Process and Technology:
We offer a free 30 day install of Armory Spinnaker, which installs Spinnaker on-prem in your AWS account.
Armory Spinnaker is offered on a Software as a Service (SaaS) basis, and includes:
- Installer Provisions open-source Spinnaker instances with the following characteristics:
- Provision Highly Available (HA) Spinnaker infrastructure, enabling multi-availability zones, cross-region redundancy and failover protection
- Configuration Management
- Upgrades to latest Spinnaker versions
- Integration-tested to work on AWS
- Upgrade process that safely updates service without loss of data or uptime
- Monitoring: Ingests the default Spinnaker health metrics into popular Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solutions such as Datadog or New Relic
- Logging: Seamless integration with popular Centralized Logging solutions such as Splunk or ELK Stack
- Support: - M-F 9am-5pm via Slack, Email or Phone with one hour response time. - Next business day trouble ticket response time - Unlimited bug fixes to the open source Spinnaker project
- Included Deployment Expertise: - Assist customer to deploy Spinnaker within its Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) Move one customer application from concept → sandbox → production
This is the architecture of Armory Spinnaker:
Here's how Armory installs Spinnaker in High Availability
The Armory Customer Engagement process typically happens as follows:
And results in the following deliverables:
Here is how Armory runs the Customer Proof Of Concept:
Pre-kickoff meeting with key stakeholder(s)
- Send out survey to engineering managers/team
- Go over presentation (and give edit access) Customize demo to reflect customer deployment process
- Evaluate areas of value for Armory Spinnaker
- Dev tooling (efficiency; speed, happiness & productivity)
- Cost savings (SLA, not breaking customer trust)
- Revenue generation (Certifications enabled like FedRamp, ISO, PCI; entering new markets)
Engineering Management Presentation: Review how Spinnaker's approach to application development can address existing customer pain points and provide for consolidation of application deployment workflows across teams.
Kickoff Meeting: (we can record this meeting for the Customer’s internal use)
- Define success metrics
- Align on the vision of safe, intelligent deployments w/ more velocity
- Specific metrics to measure + how we measure
- Identify and start tracking baseline metrics. Things like:
- Number of issues
- Deploys per day
- Number of deploys
- Identify team + app to do POC with: Day to day POC for implementation
- Administrative contact
- Billing contact (may be the same)
- Engineering team to work with
- Identify (with the team) the initial app to pilot Spinnaker with
- Get agreement between DevOps Lead, App Manager, App Principal on these implementation details:
- Should have high deployment velocity
- Should be non-mission critical
- What technology stack
- Who’s developing on it
- How it’s deployed today
- What does the app do?
- What monitoring, alerting does the app use?
- Frame out at high level how Spinnaker expands past first app
- Who are other teams, and decision-makers for those teams, and how do they function (esp. if different from first app)
- How do we make this first app so successful that our Champion = Hero within the org.
- Dependencies required for successful POC:
- Identify how customer will stand up ongoing CD expertise: Will company create an internal CD team?
- Define how we work together (i.e., on-site, daily/weekly standups, etc.)
- Schedule start of implementation
- Selecting team
- Initial meeting between Armory & Team
Contract & Administrative:
- Steps needed to get POC contract signed
- Preferred billing process
- Steps with the POC team
- Present to the team
Expanding Past POC
- Analyze & score all the services:
- Urgency of need
- How team is deploying today
- How well POC solves for those needs
- From POC to Beta: Find next X apps or teams (typically 3-5) and repeat process above.
- From Beta to General Availability (GA): Define rollout process of Spinnaker across all teams. Define rollout schedule. Repeat process above and track adoption across teams.
Armory offers a free 30 day evaluation of Armory Spinnaker. Pricing post-evaluation is based on usage, billed per Customer application deployed to production using Spinnaker. Get pricing details here.