We have a strong tribal culture that enables us to do great work.
Our interview process is described in detail at bottom
Our Investors, Advisors & Tribe's thoughts on Armory:
If you're seeing this post, it's because we believe you could be a great early hire for Armory. Let's jump on a 30 minute phone call to explore the opportunity:
We're just nine months old but already have our first seven paying customers. Our first two customers have scaled their contracts with us by 2x (and pre-paid for a year to boot). We're a small, tight team of five (three founders; employee #1 is Andrew and #2 is Miker, very high velocity Principal Engineers).
We are looking for other great senior, polyglot engineers. We want engineers who love small teams and love building a company from the ground floor.
Our intent, as founders, is not to flip Armory. We founders are doing 10 year vesting to show we're serious about building massive long-term value. Come join us as an early employee to build that value.
A Quick Hello:
You can meet the entire Armory Tribe here.
Here's why we started Armory, from our HackerNews AMA:
Why work at Armory?
- Your work will have extreme relevance: You'll have the kind of impact people at larger companies can only dream of. You'll be building the technological and cultural foundation of our company with us.
- We have 2+ years of runway: We've done a seed round with great investors like Javelin, Eric Ries, Harrison Metal, and we're in YCombinator's W17 batch. We're well funded!
- Full health benefits & company perks: Armory is at a great stage -- get in hella early to help build & shape the company, while at the same time have the stability of a full salary, great health benefits, and perks like a companion airfare ticket anytime we send you on work travel, so you can bring a significant other with you and make a fun weekend out of your trip (all described in detail below).
- We have a clear, customer-driven roadmap and strong enterprise customer demand. Learn more about how we are commercializing Spinnaker.
- We want to change how people create software: Our long-term vision is to create a platform that helps anyone ship better software, to unlock the creativity of the human mind through code. (And we really mean "anyone," not just big companies.)
- We care deeply about culture. Culture is the operating system of a startup. We're super family-friendly (read my personal post about how we wrap the Tribe around the company), and read my CEO Manifesto about how we're building Armory.
I hope to get the opportunity to have one conversation with you to evaluate the fit for both of us. You'll find lots more detail on Life at Armory below.
Daniel R. Odio
The Extended Tribe:
We work hard, we play hard and we support each other. Our significant others and families are a core part of Armory's Tribal culture. They are the support network that enables us to do amazing things. Here's a birthday dinner the Armory tribe had for Isaac, our CTO recently:
Here are more pics of life at Armory: Take a look at the full gallery.
- The Armory Comp Plan: We give you two ways to optimize your compensation based on your personal risk tolerance:
- More Cash, or More Equity? We'll make you an offer that has both a cash and equity component. You can choose to maximize the cash, or maximize the equity.
- More fixed base, or more variable bonus? Everyone at Armory is on a base + bonus comp plan. This tightly aligns all of our interests. The better Armory does, the more richly each of us is compensated.
- You can choose how aggressive you want to be; between 1% to 30% of your On Target Earnings (OTE) can be bonus comp. And higher bonus comp = higher resulting OTE comp. Risk = reward!
- The bonus comp is paid out in the middle of every month for the previous month’s work.
- Everyone’s bonus comp is based on the company’s performance against our Key Performance Indicators, which are scored monthly. We're all in the same boat!
- Compensation Transparency: We believe strongly in equal comp between Tribe members at the same skill levels, regardless of gender. We publish the compensation bands for every role internally within the company.
- You can always be sure that you and your peers are being compensated fairly and equally.
- Equity: We are focused on building a company with massive long-term value. The Founders are on a 10 year founder vesting schedule, and we ask Tribe members to participate on a six year option vesting schedule. We vest 1/6th of your options after your first year, and then monthly over the next 60 months.
- It’s also important to us that you understand how your option grant works. We'll share our Cap Table with you when we hire you and walk you through the details.
- Once you've been at Armory for at least 3 years, we'll also give you ten years to exercise your options, once vested, even if you leave the company. (Most companies only provide a 90 day window).
- We want you to be sure you want to become an equity holder in our company, vs. being forced to purchase stock before you know if it’ll be valuable.
- Want to save on taxes? We offer early option exercise so you can purchase your options at the current strike price and file an 83(b) election. We'll describe in detail how this works. It can massive tax savings, especially for you as an early tribal getting in on the ground floor, with a super low strike price.
- We offer an unlimited Discretionary Time Off policy. Take as much time off as you need to recharge. We’re focused on your output, not your time inputs.
- Every Tribe member gets a corporate credit card. When you spend the company's money, do it in a way that's best for the company. It's that simple. A one sentence expense policy.
- Armory covers 100% of your healthcare cost on the base plan. We also cover 75% of dependent costs. Our plans are as follows:
401(k) and 529 Plans:
- We offer traditional and Roth 401(k) retirement savings plans. Take advantage of them!
- We also allow you to deduct funds directly from your payroll and put them into 529 college savings plans for your children.
- Want to go back to school at some point to earn another degree? We want to support you. We’ll keep vesting your options while you’re back to school, so long as you return to Armory for a year to apply what you learned while in school. Knowledge is power!
- We’ll send you to conferences to learn new skills. What would you like to be better at?
- We’ll cover 100% of any electronics that help you be more efficient: (laptop, monitor, headphones, etc) and 100% of SaaS services that help you be more efficient: (Mixmax, Sanebox, etc) We're always sharing efficiency pro-tips and would love to know yours!
- We’ll also reimburse your cell phone bill based on how much you use it for work. If you use it all the time, we’ll cover 100%. Or if you prefer to unplug when not at work and you just use it occasionally, tell us what percentage of the bill you’d like covered.
- We pay for a companion ticket for any Armory travel. Bring your spouse or family and make a weekend of it!
- We’ll also cover a hotel room for you + your family if you choose to bring them for any Armory travel.
- Free lunch 5 days per week. We try to keep it healthy! (Personal health hacking is one of DROdio’s passions.)
- Free dinner on Armory late nights (currently Mondays)
- Lots of non-sugary, non-carby snacks & drinks
- Armory will pay the entrance fee for all participants (including family members!) in any races (triathlons, marathons, etc.) where at least two Armory Tribals do it together. Races are great bonding opportunities and support our Manifesto mantra that "The Tribe is not built from 9 to 5."
- On Friday afternoons we break out the good stuff and do a “Let’s create content and have a few drinks” afternoon session. Creating thought leadership is an important part of our culture.
Making life generally awesome:
- You work hard. You should be able to have groceries magically appear at your house, and we'd like to help make that happen. So, choose one of these services and we’ll cover the annual membership cost: Instacart membership ($150/yr), Amazon Prime membership ($99/yr) or Google Shopping Express membership ($95/yr)
- Apply for an open position right here.
- Matt, our VP Eng + Talent, will reach out to you. If your skills look like a fit, we'll do a quick phone call to get to know each other.
- If we both want to move forward, we’ll bring you on-site for a deep dive whiteboard technical interview. If you’re not located in the Bay area, we will pay for your flight and hotel.
- If it looks like a fit, we'll make an offer quickly -- sometimes same day!